Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What I like about Sibiu

Sibiu is the the anti-Bucharest, what with its orderly city center, restored historic churches and restaurants, and unique architecture. Plus, the buildings are always watching you.


I quite liked our hotel, Casa Luxemberg. It's the pink building on the far right and it has the honor of being dubbed the cleanest and most spacious three star hotel I have ever stayed in.


The best part of Sibiu, however, is the chance to stroll from one cafe to another and eat pizza and gelato and other sweets until you can't walk anymore. In the photo below, my dear husband and sweet Bee are moving with purpose toward our pizza lunch.


It being a Saturday, the square was filled with brides taking their wedding photographs. There were young and pretty ones, and others not so much of either, but all (with the exception of one angry smoking bride) happy and smiling. The grooms mostly trailed behind their new wives looking slightly stunned.


Unfortunately, I could have also titled this post "plague and flood" because we all had terrible colds and it rained on and off Saturday and all of Sunday. But despite these slightly negative factors, I can still taste the walnut chocolate gelato and would do it all again just to have another plate of perfectly fried calamari.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is really nothing better than being pregnant and eating your way through Europe.

Hope all of you are feeling better.