Saturday, July 21, 2012

Countdown to kindergarten


I really can't get over the fact that Miss Bee will be heading off to Kindergarten in just a few weeks.  I mean, really, it was just about five days ago that I brought her home from the hospital, all wrinkled and swaddled.  She fit into the crook of my arm.  (If there is one word I want to steal from British English, using "fitted" instead of "fit"  is the one, but since it sounds a bit pretentious on this side of the Atlantic I'll restrain myself.) 

Now, that little baby is an amazing big sister who loves ballet, art projects and reading.  As in reading books.  I suppose that reading might be an indication that she is ready for school...but, like I said, I'm in denial.

Last night, we my adorable three year old niece spent the night.  Bee herded her cousin and sister around the house like a mother hen with two slightly unruly chicks. Several times I had to remind her "you're not the Mommy" as she reprimanded them for some small toddler infraction.  

We were out driving in the car today and Bee spent the ride asking her father about what makes the car go, about pressing the brake and the accelerator and all that.  So I suppose next month she'll have to learn how to drive. 

My little sister is having a baby, and not just any baby, a beautiful (I'm sure of this) little girl.  She is ironing tiny baby clothes and folding blankets and preparing the nursery and I'm jealous.  Time seems to go by so slowly when you're pregnant, especially in the final waddling slightly miserable months.  But once you bring that baby home time just flies by.


No comments: