Sunday, August 5, 2012

Flipping out


So tomorrow it's back to real life.  I had a wonderful three weeks of vacation + five weeks of training but now it's time to get back into working full time. 

These eight weeks of just normal life have been so wonderful.  We went to Rhode Island. We went to the beach. I was able to go to the girls' ballet and swim lessons. We spent lazy afternoons together doing puzzles and going to the park. 

So I tried hard this weekend not to dwell too much on the fact that this was my last weekend "home" with the girls before regular work kicks back in.  But somewhere between Saturday night and this morning the reality of it started to creep in. 

So, what to do when you're starting to freak out just a little? In my family, there is only one thing to do actually--cook good food.  We tried a new recipe tonight, recreating the cheese spaetzle from last year's trip to Germany.  I would not recommend trying this without an actual spaetzle maker, we had a heck of a time convincing the noodles to go through our cheese grater..  I made pretzels to go with the spaetzle; the Wednesday Chef recipe never disappoints. 

For dessert, I made "Sunday night cake" from Baked Explorations. Oh my goodness that chocolate frosting was amazing and like nothing I have ever tasted before--closer to a pudding than frosting.  

I'm off to spend the next hour doing something completely mindless.

No comments: