Thursday, March 4, 2010

"More tofu, please!"

I can't believe it is already Thursday, er Friday. (This post has taken two days to finish.) It seems as though this week has just flown by in a blur of diaper changes, storybooks, and abbreviated nap times. Neither of my little darlings slept much yesterday, and are doing only marginally better today. Oh well.

We have had a good week for eating, especially since it was my dear husband's birthday on Monday. The poor man had to spend the day at work, but we made up for this injustice by ordering copious amounts of food from our favorite Lebanese restaurant.

For dessert we celebrated with pie. Isn't that terrible? I am the queen of cakes. I can make them all: chocolate cake with mountains of sticky icing; soft yellow cake with vanilla frosting and swirling decorations, pink strawberry cake, for heaven's sake! I have a cake for every season of the year--every conceivable occasion. I ask my dear husband what he wants every year, and the answer is always the same: strudel.

Strudel terrifies me. It's a gigantic dish that his family makes every Thanksgiving and usually involves the combined efforts of at least four people. Fortunately, every Romanian pastry shop in Bucharest serves reasonably decent strudel--in single serving portions. So as a compromise this year, he bought himself a strudel after lunch and I served pie after dinner. I will make strudel next year, I promise! (This is because we will be in America and I can enlist the help of my Father-in-law.)


The only reason I was able to avoid making strudel was by suggesting a pie that involved bourbon. Sweet potato bourbon pie, to be precise, except I made an all butter pie crust, to counteract the healthiness of all that sweet potato. Anyway, there are no frozen pie crusts to be had in Romania. I highly recommend this recipe; I thought that it would be very similar to pumpkin pie, and it was, except the sweet potato made for a richer filling.


On Wednesday we tried stir fried tofu with vegetables and somen noodles. It was fine, but despite my dear husband's best efforts, I am not really a fan of any kind of Chinese food that doesn't come in a pretty paper box.

I had quite a shock when Miss Bee's sweet little voice requested "More tofu, please!" I mean, I didn't eat tofu until I was in college. What are we doing to this child? I plan to make it up to her this afternoon when we make vanilla cookies.

(Recipes #13-15)

No comments: