Thursday, February 3, 2011

Food. Family.

It's my Dad's birthday today, and not only did I really enjoy having dinner over at my parents' house, but my husband had to eat pot roast.

Poor Dear Husband. For the first ten years of our relationship, he claimed that he hated the very thought of the meal--all those mushy vegetables and stringy beef.

I'm pot roast agnostic, and pretty much happy to eat anything that I don't have to cook in my kitchen.

On the other hand, Dad looooves pot roast, and almost always requests it for his birthday dinner. Plus, he just loves to give my husband a hard time.

My mother makes pot roast in the slow cooker, and covers the meat with a jar of horseradish sauce. Horseradish sounds like a less than ideal condiment, but when you cook it for a period of several hours, the flavor mellows out and the beef becomes fork tender. It's delicious.

And you know, I think I saw my husband sneaking seconds onto his plate.

The best part of the evening, however, was watching Nora eat her own piece of chocolate cake. By the time she was finished, she had crumbs in her nose, hair, and in every crease of her neck. She brandished her spoon overhead and laughed. She clearly has her mamma's sweet tooth.

It's nights like tonight that I really miss when we are overseas--time to just be an extended family, to tease each other, sneak extra pieces of cake, and just revel in sharing our daily lives together.

No comments: