Tuesday, May 10, 2011

TIme capsule


I got my luggage back from Christchurch on Friday. I had tracked its progress online all week, as it passed through New Zealand's rigorous customs inspection, traveled to Hong Kong to be x-rayed, and then on to Cincinnati to pass through U.S. customs.

It finally arrived, all my personal items, painstakingly gathered from my damaged hotel in Christchurch and packed back up into my suitcase. My favorite jeans. My passport. My house keys. My laptop computer.

My laptop had to be shipped separately, due to the lithium battery inside. Tne package containing my computer was covered with so many warning labels you might have mistaken it for a shipment of dynamite.

Once I figured out how to put the battery back into the computer, I opened the screen and it popped right back on. I evidently hadn't turned the computer off the morning of February 22 and my email inbox and news articles from that day were still on the screen. Eerie.

It's all back in order now. My suitcase has been put away, dirty laundry washed and folded. Although myc experience in the Christchurch earthquake is something I will remember for the rest of my life, I think that I can finally now say that I have come home.

No comments: