So there was no room in the inn, but instead of the stable, I was waiting in a crowded waiting room filled with mothers, uncles, husbands and cousins (don't know how they all got in to be honest, since the hospital had a strict limited visitors policy due to h1n1 flu, but I guess that it was okay to visit outside of the delivery suites).
The other pregnant women were not having as hard of a time as I was--one was chatting on her cell phone, the other had been sent to walk the halls in order to move things along. I wasn't moving anywhere! I was struggling to stay upright in the wheelchair that my husband had snagged for me when it became apparent that walking had become a bit impossible.
After what seemed like a veritable eternity, a delivery room opened up and we headed in. I was already at 4 cm and in a lot of pain and had already decided that I wanted to have an epidural. I will say that I am secretly jealous of women who are brave enough to do natural childbirth. However, I have no idea how anyone could actively chose to be in that much pain.
The anesthesiologist was very quick and efficient and as soon as he was done, the nurse checked my progress and I was already at 9 cm. After a couple hours of blissful pain free rest and it was time to deliver. After 40 minutes of pushing (and I was brave enough to use a mirror and watch my baby being born) and my sweet Nightingale was born. She was 7 lbs even and a perfect 10 Apgar score. Perfect to me in every way. When Bee was born, she had a small complication and was immediately whisked away. This time, my daughter was placed warm, crying and wiggling on my chest--and there was no greater feeling in the entire world.
Giving birth to Baby N almost felt like cheating after the 20+ hours it took to have Bee. My nurse and doctor were almost cavalier about how easy the delivery would be--I guess it had been a long night for them. But best of all, my husband was there this time, from beginning to end.
We lobbied (and were permitted) to leave the hospital after one day instead of staying the requiste 48 hours. Baby N. is doing great--eating, sleeping (some) and making diapers. Bee is a proud big sister and handling the whole transition very well--although it is hard for a three year old. And I am just fine. A tired Mommy of course, overwhelmed a couple times a day, but feeling wonderful and just so proud of my girls.
And after these long nine months, I love to be able to say girls in the plural. My babies. My Merry, Merry Christmas.
3 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Wpnderful! Congratulations to all of you! I can't think of a better mommy for your girls. =)
Sorry, wonderful! Toddler on lap.
Post a Comment