Oh I am really really really (maybe I should capitalize REALLY, in case I am not coming across clearly enough) going to miss my library. My library is three blocks away from my new house and filled with wondrous books. Everyone should have a library within walking distance. I am certain that walking distance libraries are an amenity in heaven.
Because of my library's close proximity I have been a regular reading fool and have three more books to review before I head back to Romania.
"The Year of Magical Thinking," by Joan Didion: I have never been a fan of Ms. Didion, but I challenge you to read this memoir and not be moved. She writes of a year of loss with such clarity, yet also manages to convey the utter confusion and devastation brought on by losing her spouse. The book was all about death, but it somehow wasn't depressing.
"South of Broad," by Pat Conroy: Not his best, but surely entertaining. I'll read anything Pat Conroy writes. He is one of America's greatest novelists and brings the South to life like no one else.
"The Wildwater Walking Club," by Claire Cook: Yes, this book was as stupid as it sounds, but it did inspire me to buy a pedometer.
1 comment:
Read the first two you mentioned and totally agree with your opinions. I might actually go further with my dislike of 'South of Broad'. It was such a disappointment considering how much I love Conroy's other novels.
Post a Comment