Saturday, February 20, 2010

Full Bellies


So right now I should really be looking for a recipe to fulfill my craving for chocolate chip walnut banana bread, but I wanted to catch up on two recipes I made this week that were both very satisfying, in two different ways.

Anadama bread: I am slowly but surely overcoming my fear of "The Bread Baker's Apprentice." I mistakenly thought that the breads were organized in order of difficulty, and since Anadama was first, I thought, how hard could it be? (In fact, the author organizes his breads alphabetically. Whoops.)
It wasn't hard, but it wasn't so easy either: a two day process that started with fermenting the cornmeal for 24 hours. The next day, lots of proofing ensued, and the end result was an enriched sandwich bread that tasted somewhat like whole wheat. A lot of work for something I could buy at Harris Teeter. But oh, I am not in the United States where grocery stores are plentiful, and these loaves have grown on me since. They make soft and satisfying peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, are the perfect accompaniment to soup (see below) and spectacular cinnamon french toast.

Split pea soup (vegetarian): I have only had split pea soup one other time in my life. I vaguely remember trying a bowl at my grandmother's house. Hers included ham. This did not. There are a couple interesting things about split pea soup. First, it has a spatter distance of approximately one meter. Second, it completely covered the inside and outside of my soup pot, a feat not replicated by any other dish I have ever made. Finally, it is thick. . . as pea soup. Go figure. However, the good thing about pea soup is that it requires no time consuming vegetable stock, makes enough leftovers for the next day, and is very tasty.

(Recipes #6 & #7)

No comments: