Dishes washed? Check.
Laundry folded? Mostly. So, check.
Dish of ice cream with a brownie on the side? Check.
Celebrating my last night as a 20-something year old? Check!
I am comforting myself with the fact that when I am about to turn 40, I'm sure that 30 will seem so young. But right now, 30 just seems, well, old. I am no longer carded at the grocery store when I buy alcohol. I have a mortgage. I can speak Latvian. It has been a strange and wonderful decade indeed.
On the occasion of my 30th birthday, I am going to be very narcissistic and tell you 30 things I have learned in the past ten years:
1. Bucharest's international airport is the second worst in the world--Miami International Airport takes the cake.
2. I cannot live without books.
3. Take lots of pictures of your kids while they are babies. Lots. They grow up in a millisecond.
4. A Labrador retriever puppy can eat anything. This includes Swiss army knives and marble Easter eggs.
5. Do everything you can to keep "work life" from intruding on "home life." If necessary, defend your home life with sticks and knives.
6. Never underestimate the power of quiet diplomacy.
7. Manuel Antonio national park in Costa Rica has the perfect beach.
8. My children are my greatest joy.
9. I am very good at remembering a compliment, and criticisms, even more so.
10. Living in four different countries in the past ten years has given me a zen-like approach to crisis.
11. My favorite restaurant is in Valmiera, Latvia and I'll probably never visit it again.
12. Cute jeans are an essential clothing item.
13. If you don't let your children watch television, they will find other creative ways to spend their time. This is a good thing.
14. I have the best husband. My apologies to everyone else.
15. Climbing an active volcano is awesome. Being stuck in Romania because of an active volcano is not.
16. It's a good idea to pretend you're someone else when giving a speech to a large audience.
17. People will tell you the most interesting things if you encourage them to keep talking.
18. Cliff jumping is very painful and no one should ever try it.
19. My parents are still my heroes.
20. Babies eventually do sleep through the night. (I keep repeating this one to myself.)
21. Walt Disney world isn't just for kids.
22. Saltenas are the best fast food.
23. Ice hotels are very, very cold. Consider this important fact before choosing to stay in one.
24. Quinny makes the best stroller.
25. Becoming a mother is a miracle.
26. The U.S. really is the greatest country on earth. Don't knock it 'till you've had to live elsewhere.
27. Chocolate is an essential food group.
28. Don't ever attempt to drive through a Spanish village festival.
29. Babies, although adorable, are like little terrorists--don't negotiate with either.
30. Nothing is more important than family.
1 comment:
Hope you have a very happy birthday. So far 30 has been pretty decent for me. Hope it is for you, too. =)
Post a Comment