Thursday, August 28, 2008

A favorite ingredient: cornmeal

There is something so comforting about cornmeal.  I love it in everything, from simple polenta with butter to blue corn blueberry pancakes.  It's classic in quick breads, cornmeal loaf and cornmeal muffins.  You can mix it up with a spoon and a bowl--no fuss. 

I love eating my father-in-law's Texas style corn bread, served in thick sweet squares. Weirdly, I even like the grit-in-your-teeth texture.  

Cornmeal has a quality that makes it substantial and homey.   It evokes family dinners, picnics, and cool autumn nights.  You can add it to almost anything.  Jeanne Lemlin has a fantastic carmelized apple cake that calls for cornmeal in the batter.  Every time I make it for company my guests ask me, "What is the secret ingredient?"

We are going out of the city and into the mountains this weekend, where polenta is a traditional staple. Along with the fresh air and sunshine, I will be soaking up as much cornmeal as I can.

No comments: