Friday, August 15, 2008

Hot and Cold

The city is hot. Stinking hot.  Garbage rotting on sidewalks, exhaust fumes stalled mid air, body sweat hot. So hot you could bake a whole cake on the sidewalk.  

Despite the heat, David and I went out to lunch today, to a wonderful French Asian fusion restaurant.  We ate outside, because the alternative was a smoky interior, but it was tolerable in the shade. It was the kind of restaurant where my water glass never became empty but I never noticed it being refilled.  Understated service.  

We commute home on the metro. During the 15 minute walk from our stop to the apartment we struggled to decide what to make for dinner.  We usually plan our meals for the entire week but I unfortunately didn't make it to Friday.  Plus, we go to the market on Saturday morning so our fridge consisted of a lot of onions and some stale Lebanese bread.  Which is not something Bee would relish eating.  

Fortunately, David loves freezing leftovers. I would prefer to stick whatever we don't eat in the fridge and see how it goes. He knows that I won't get around to eating it and it'll have to be thrown out.  Wasting food is anathema to him so everything gets divided up and packaged in the freezer. The man will freeze anything.  Luckily for us, he had frozen waffles and frozen egg fritatta.  Breakfast for dinner, courtesy of the microwave.  No dishes, no hot stove, just a wonderful lazy start to our weekend.

No comments: