This generally starts to happen when I don't have enough to do at work. My job is structured so that I am very busy all morning, right up until lunch. After lunch is another story. It is a wasteland of staring at my computer screen and watching the minutes slowly pass by, trying desperately to find something useful to do. That is when my mind starts wandering and I start thinking about preschool for Bee.
Why preschool? I have no idea. I guess it is because Bee has a decent child care arrangement here. She has a daily caregiver, a routine, friends in the park, and I am able to be home before 5:30 every day. Moving back to the US in a few years is the great unknown. I know where my job will be but I don't know where we will be living. I don't know whether I will have a job that will require me to work long hours. I just don't know.
I want Bee to have the kind of childhood that I had. I went to preschool. My Mom worked part time. We had family outings to the pool, to museums, to story hour at the library. As a working mom, I feel like a failure in that regard.
I want to be one of those moms driving an SUV, taking their baby to "Mommy and Me" yoga, with a planner full of play dates. I want to be busy being a Mom to my daughter. On the other hand, I don't want to give up my career. Life on one income, where we would live, with my husband's current job, would be, quite simply, impossible. I am a working Mom. I have my dream job that I worked so hard to obtain. I fear that giving it up would make me bitter.
I try to straddle the middle line. I work all day, but come home and try to make the most of my time with my daughter. We read books, we cook together, we play play-doh. I am focused on her, (that is, unless I send her with her father to pick up a pizza because he came home too late to cook dinner.) I am certain that my Bee knows who her parents are. She puts her trust and love in us, and sees her caregiver as a good pal.
I don't want Bee to be in an unimaginative day care, that stifles her creativity and intelligence. I know we'll work it out, in two years time. For me, though, the Great Unknown hides more dragons than butterflies.
No comments:
Post a Comment