Thursday, November 20, 2008

"The sun poured in like butterscotch"


I saw rainbows twice while on vacation.  The photo above was taken from the balcony of our stateroom while on our Disney Cruise.  David and I were both excited and apprehensive about our trip.  We need not have been worried, as it was wonderful. The rainbow over the water is just one example of the magic of Disney.  They even control the weather!

The second time I saw a rainbow was on my last day at home.  Our flight was later that evening (little did I know that I would leave on Saturday and not arrive home until Monday morning) and both my Mom and I were feeling despondent at my and David's and Bee's imminent departure. So, we went and did what all good women do in the face of stress: we went shopping.  Bee was having her afternoon nap so we made our escape, just the two of us.  We were driving to the mall when a double rainbow appeared the the sky.  I'm not sure whether it was just a good shopping omen or a fitting end to a perfect vacation.

But really, of all the days that we were home, the very best day of vacation was the first full day. Waking up in my house, in my childhood bedroom, sitting at the kitchen table, jet-lagged at 5 am, drinking hot tea, eating scrambled eggs that my Mom cooked, my father wandering in with a cup of coffee in hand, Bee playing on the kitchen floor, David reading the paper, the sun rising, and the love of my family "stuck to all my senses."

No comments: