Saturday, November 29, 2008

Surreal

Well I am writing this post sitting in my little sister's apartment in Munich, having kicked her and her boyfriend out for the night. We're staying at their place for the weekend, enjoying the traditional Christmas market and pre-Christmas festivities. They have very generously relocated to her boyfriend's parent's apartment.

The apartment is a tiny jewel box in the heart of the city. It's my little sister's miniature castle. The house is organized to a degree that would make Martha Stewart write an article on how less truly is more. It makes me want to throw away half my possessions and start over.

My sister has a knack for selecting decorative objects and then displaying them in a way that is unique, yet classic. My decorating style, on the other hand, consists of fighting against the constantly rising tide of children's toys and putting objects out of Bee's ever inquisitive and increasingly proprietorial grasp.

This is a long holiday weekend for David and I. I am trying to relax after the gourmet mania and fighting off the stomach flu that defined this year's Thanksgiving. I was thankful that I was well enough to cook all the dishes I was assigned for Thanksgiving. I was thankful that I didn't actually get sick after nibbling at Thanksgiving dinner, as opposed to just feeling sick. Other than that, I wasn't thankful for much else. I was finally feeling better most of the day today but now my stomach is starting to feel wobbly. I think it's time for bed.

Tomorrow we will be attending mass at my favorite church, more city strolling, Christmas-marketing, and hopefully eating.

No comments: