Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Walking the dog at dusk

The sun is staying up later and I can walk the dog before its full dark. We headed out a little before 8 pm. Passed a crazy man with two beagles who kept repeating in a high pitched voice, "Look at the big puppy! Look at the big puppy!"

He was talking about Max. Maybe his beagles were vicious and he was trying to prevent them from attacking my dog. I have no idea why he was acting that way, but it raised the hairs on the back of my neck.

I picked up my pace, but then chided myself for being so paranoid. It's not like an axe murderer would be out on the prowl with a pair of beagles. Unless it was a really good ruse.

Safely away from the potentially vicious beagles/axe murderer, I slowed down as we walked past the library. I love the library, and would stop in every night, if just to breathe that musty book smell and hear the rustle of contented readers turning pages. But since dogs aren't allowed in the library, we just walked slowly by and stared in the windows.

And then I saw it. The sunset. Tonight it was a perfect, glowing pink. There were swirling clouds the color of cotton candy. And streaks of blue for good measure.

I don't think Max noticed the sunset. But I stopped for a minute, just to soak up the last rays of departing light. I wish I could write that as we walked quietly on, the sunset led to some big spiritual revelation, or caused me to realize something very profound, but nothing like that happened. It was just beautiful.

No comments: