I was in a contentious and stressful meeting today when my cell phone rang. Not only did it ring, but it was LOUD and rang right in the middle of my presentation. It took me a minute to realize that the reason that no one was silencing the ringer was because it was, in fact, my phone.
A mad scramble and furious blushing ensued.
As I reached over to turn it off, I saw that my the phone number was my parents' house. Uh oh. My Mom picks up Bee after school and if she was calling in the middle of the afternoon, then something was amiss.
F. Scott Fitzgerald once said that "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." Today proved my own intelligence falls squarely into the second rate category. I finished the meeting, but was utterly distracted. Then I almost walked into oncoming traffic while outside trying to return my Mom's call.
Miss Bee's okay, but it turns out she is allergic to penicillin.
No comments:
Post a Comment