Saturday, December 13, 2008

Home

This has turned into a very quiet, atypical Saturday for me.  Usually all three of us are hustling around the city, with only a short break at home for Bee's nap.  

We are supposed to be attending a children's Christmas party this afternoon, but had to break off our plans due to Bee suddenly coming down with an eye infection.  I'm relieved, actually.  Not about Bee's eye (she seems to be feeling okay but has a violent aversion to the antibiotic eye drops)--I'm relieved that we finally have been forced to spend the day at home. 

David made sweet potato bread for breakfast.  It was supposed to be pumpkin, but we had frozen sweet potato puree in our freezer. It turned out very light and flavorful.  Afterward, I baked bread for tonight's sandwiches. (There was fresh spinach at the market on Friday, a real find, and I am going to make veggie melts tonight and spinach lasagna tomorrow.)  

Now Bee is napping and I mixed up a batch of gingerbread cookie dough.  David bought me a giant gingerbread man cookie cutter at the Munich Christmas market that I can't wait to try out.  Bee goes a little crazy around rolling pins and cookie dough, so I might wait to cut them out tonight after she has gone to bed. 

Re-reading this post, it seems nothing more than a list of what I did today, but really, what I have been thinking about is how much I like the season of Advent.  More than Lent and even a tiny bit more that Christmas itself.  It's a time for preparation--in a physical and spiritual sense: 

I've been cleaning out closets and organizing my cabinets; preparing for the arrivals of my parents, sister and her boyfriend; buying extra groceries in the anticipation of a full house for Christmas; decorating my house for the holidays; and wrapping a few presents each night.  

At the same time, we have been teaching Bee about the meaning of Christmas; reading stories about a baby born in a cold manger; lighting the candles on our Advent wreath; and savoring the end of a wonderful year.  

 Although Advent may be a time of expectation--He is already here.

No comments: