Tuesday, December 30, 2008

On my radar

Over the past two years I have come to believe that there is a special frequency that allows mothers to hear their children's voices anywhere, regardless of the level of surrounding noise. The Mommy frequency causes me to snap my attention to Bee like a needle on a compass.

Imagine my surprise this evening when I was walking home from work and heard Bee's voice saying, "Mom-mee!" clear across a four lane road. 

In an instant, I asked myself, "Where is my daughter's voice coming from and how could she possibly be so loud?" 

My head whipped around so quickly that my eyes struggled to catch up. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw David, Max, and Bee (ensconced in her stroller and many layers as it is freezing here) standing at the entrance to the peasant museum.  They had walked over in the hopes of catching my sister on her way back to our apartment.  The earlier plan was for the three of them to go together but evidently Bee threw a tantrum about wearing snow pants, which are really not an option when it is 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside.   They found me instead.  

I don't know where Bee's powers of elocution come from. But she certainly caught my attention. 

No comments: