Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Silver Bells

It's Christmas time in the city.

The city built an ice skating rink in the park! I passed by on my way home and saw a whole group of adorable children learning to skate.  They were all wearing reindeer antlers for good measure. I think they were standard issue, along with the skates.

The park itself is bedecked with twinkling Christmas lights: long icicles sparkling from the trees and snowflakes and gold stars shining on lampposts. 

At the entrance to the park there is lighted display including trees, santa, a large family of polar bears, with some penguins strewn about for good measure. (Perhaps it's a predator versus prey set-up.  Or maybe Santa is enforcing peace on earth.) In short, it's several thousand watts of tackiness--but endearingly so. 

The locals love photographing the display. I might just take my camera over tomorrow. I know a certain two year old who would go wild with excitement over a glowing Santa.

No comments: