Sunday, January 11, 2009

Book #4: "So Many Enemies, So Little Time," by Elinor Burkett

The subtitle of this book, "An American Woman in all the Wrong Places" is really what caught my eye.

This book is essentially a travelogue about Kyrgyzstan, with gleeful forays into Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan. The author seems to enjoy sneaking into countries that are notoriously anti-American in order to see for herself just how friendly or unfriendly they really are.

Burkett discovers that most people want the US to help, but not interfere, and usually have some very strange misconceptions about what America has done or plans to do in the future.

Other than that, the book was just okay. I read a lot of travel books and I have been spoiled by authors like Billy Bryson and Rigel Crockett. Haven't heard of the latter? I enjoyed his book, "Fair Wind and Plenty of It" so much that I rationed chapters.

In the meantime, for additional literary inspiration you might check out A Postcard From. . . . The author is also planning to read 50 books in 2009 and, as an added bonus, writes about her adventures in glorious Western Europe.

No comments: