While I read lots of parenting books while I was pregnant, the actual reality of having Bee, becoming a mother, and having a tiny human being for whose welfare I was responsible was a real shock.
I remember when we left the hospital after Bee was born. David and I were so overwhelmed by the concept of having to dress our daughter that the nurse stepped in and did it for us. I remember driving home with David felt like a prison break, and not in a good way, but rather worrying, "Do you think we're going to get caught, pretending to be parents?" Every time David drove faster than 25 miles per hour I started to panic.
Despite the initial challenges, parents we became, parents we were and parents we are. My daughter's every milestone has been a source of wonder. First word, first tooth, first steps--all minor miracles. So, it is no wonder that Bee continues to amaze me on a daily basis.
Here's the secret that I want to share, the one thing that new parents might not even be able to fathom or dream about: 2 year olds can do chores. And they like it!
I don't just mean pretending to sweep and mop; Bee does plenty of that. But she also thinks that setting the table, feeding the dog, helping me make the bed, and fetching and carrying is fun. She even puts the forks and knives in the right place.
I'm sure there will come an age where Bee will become an unwilling participant in household chores, when every request will be a battle. For for now, I am relishing my sunny child who fills Maxwell's bowl and folds napkins with such joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment