Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fade to gray

The sky is the color of dishwater. The communist era apartment buildings are the color of wet newsprint. Dirty snow covers the ground.

This morning while driving to the Ikea (big blue store with yellow trim=color!) I was silently contemplating the nuances of the color gray when David turned to me and blurted out, "Do you remember when we were eating ice cream on Castaway Cay?"


Turns out, we were both thinking the exact same thing. January is not the time to visit my wild, Eastern European city. It's just too depressing.

When we lived in Guatemala, every day was 70 degrees and sunny (except during the rainy season when it would rain every day, around 3 pm, for about 45 minutes). Back then, I remember thinking to myself that the same weather, day after day, no matter how pleasant, was irritating and monotonous. Clearly, I was insane.



Just look at that sky and those colorful houses.

A monotonous sunrise seen from my apartment window.


Lake Atitlan. The water changed colors five times per day. (How irritating!) This teal was my favorite.

Even the ruined 17th century buildings look clean . . .

I'm off to eat clementines, sit by the heater, and listen to marimba music.

No comments: