"The Great Scandinavian Baking Book," by Beatrice Ojakangas
Cookbooks count. I read them from cover to cover.
I cannot post much of a review for either of them at the moment--my head is still swimming with the sheer number of combinations of yeast, flour, water, and salt. . . but both look like they're going to be a welcome (and utilized) addition to my ever growing library of cookbooks.
I'm excited about "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" as another New Year's resolution of mine is to bake homemade bread, but have been struggling with finding time during the week. Generally, it takes about 15 minutes to whip up the dough, the two hours for it to rise, then about an hour for the dough to proof, and then an hour to bake. That would mean pulling loaves out of the oven around 11 pm.
With the Hertzberg method, you use an extra large batch of refrigerated dough that has already completed its initial rise. He claims that the loaves have to proof for about 40 minutes and then bake for a mere half hour. I am going to try it this weekend.
As for "The Great Scandinavian Baking Book," I have about 15 recipes that I want to try, but the first one will be Aebleskiver filled doughnuts. I finally broke down and ordered the special pan needed to make them.
Next book: a travelogue, as I continue to leap from genre to genre.
No comments:
Post a Comment