Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The worst perfect gift

I know she didn't do it on purpose. But still, I feel as though all the wind has been knocked out of my sails.

After a bad day at work, I spent the entire walk home dragging my "mommy" persona up from the self-pitying depths of my spirit. Bee is always so happy to see me when I come home, how can show her any less enthusiasm?

I am proud to say that I managed to pull myself together and walked in the door with a big smile. I was rewarded by Bee's usual excitement and happy chatter about her day.

And then she showed me the Valentine's Day present her babysitter had brought her. A doctor's kit: perfect for caring for sick dollies and teddy bears. The very thing she had been wishing for.

What the babysitter had no way of knowing was that hidden away on a shelf in my bedroom, is another doctor's kit, one that I had specially ordered and was saving as Bee's Valentine's day gift from me.

Oh, jealousy.

No comments: