Thursday, January 7, 2010

Books for the New Year

I don't have any particular reading goal in mind for this year. However, having a library within walking distance of my house and plenty of time sitting down feeding a hungry baby, has given me ample time to read.

"Jillian Dare: a novel," by Melanie Jeschke--Gotta love the earnestness of the title ("a novel!"). I read this book first to see whether my brain could handle anything more complicated than the latest news on washingtonpost.com. This book is written by a University of Virginia grad, and takes place in Virginia (even including a visit to Tyson's corner mall). It's a modern version of Jane Eyre. If I were being unkind, I would describe it as Jane Eyre written on the level of U.S. Weekly. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'll admit, I quite enjoyed the story, but was really surprised that that author managed to get this book published. I guess there is hope for us all.

"Annie's Ghosts, a journey into a family secret" by Steve Luxenberg--this book is part memoir and part detective story. The author had an aunt he never knew about, because the aunt had been institutionalized. It's a journey into the world of psychiatric hospitals and family secrets. The story was interesting at first, but the author spends a lot of time dissecting each minute scrap of evidence he uncovers. It becomes a bit tedious by the end.

"Day after Night" by Anita Diamant--I loved "The Red Tent" and this book is no disappointment either. It takes place in an internment camp for illegal immigrants to British occupied Palestine, just after the end of World War II. The The characters, all young Jewish women who survived the war in a variety of circumstances, are finely wrought and believable. It was an interesting and worthwhile read.

No comments: