Friday, January 29, 2010

Epic

This morning we were at the pediatrician for almost two hours. It was the whole "called back right away but then left to moulder in an exam room alone for 40 minutes trick". Except we were not alone. The whole family was together! Miss Bee enjoyed the contents of my purse. J and I were busy keeping Baby N warm as we had had to undress her to be weighed. She was just about asleep when the doctor finally came in for N's examination. She was pronounced to be in good health and ready for vaccinations.

I am pro vaccine. I believe it is the duty of every parent to have their child vaccinated for their own health and for the public at large. However I do not like watching my baby get her shots. My guess is that no mother does. And today, the beastly nurse--don't know where she came from because they are mostly so nice--jabbed my darling baby bird as if she was sewing up a Thanksgiving turkey. Not once but three times. Baby N bled a surprising amount and cried herself to sleep in indignation.

At home, N spent the next couple hours sleeping and whimpering. By mid afternoon she was really hurting and switched to full on screaming. I don't know how some poor parents survive colic. Here I was, feeling pretty competent as a mom of two, with my nerves completely frayed after about 30 minutes of crying. J and I took turns holding our little tea kettle, who eventually wore herself out and subsided into snuffling.

For the rest of the day N slept and ate and cried. My mom came over and played with Bee. We ordered pizza.

Around 8:00 pm, N woke up feeling a lot better. She feasted. And then feasted some more. She was bright eyed and wiggling and seemed to be her old self. I was feeling relaxed for the first time all day. Then she barfed all over me and my bed. It was like a tidal wave of regurgitated milk. Amazing in its quantity and consistency. Lots of things are in the laundry and the moment. Hungry after her mighty effort, she nursed again and is sleeping peacefully now.

I am hopelessly in love with this baby, but I am looking forward to a hopefully more normal day tomorrow.

No comments: