Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Comfort food

We have been trying a lot of new recipes lately. So many, in fact, that they are piling up faster than I can blog about them.

Here are our most recent recipe ventures:

Jeanne Lemlin's Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Dill Dumplings: The title tells you all you need to know. Roasting the red peppers adds a bit of extra cooking time, but the result is a rich, velvety soup that we absolutely devoured.

Sesame Whole Wheat Bread: This was a recipe from King Arthur Flour's baking magazine. I was unimpressed with the result, the bread was much too dry, but am looking forward to trying additional recipes in future issues of the magazine.

Hamburger buns two ways: One way turns out lovely soft rolls, the other turns out bread similar to a doorstop. Your choice!

And now, may I present to you, my new favorite breakfast:


The photo does not do this dish justice. It is a puffed apple pancake, a heavenly concoction of butter, baked apples, topped with a light pancake batter. I think that I could eat this every Saturday morning for the rest of my life, perfectly content.

I have 20 days left in Romania, which is starting to feel like a frighteningly short period of time. Fortunately, I have a welcome distraction this week in the form of my sparkling little sister. Bee worships her. Babycakes coos in her general direction. And I am just so happy to have some sisterly company. We have been cooking all our family favorites, including fajitas for Easter Sunday. (None of us are particular fans of ham.)

We did stick with tradition on Good Friday and made these most perfect hot cross buns. They were so easy to enjoy because you make the rolls the night before. They rise overnight in the refrigerator and are ready to bake first thing the next morning. As a result of this one recipe, I am now a devoted fan of Alexandra's Kitchen.

(Recipes #21-27)

No comments: