Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Craving

I could never grow tired of ice cream.  

My favorite is mint chocolate chip, the bright green kind, mind you, covered, and I mean covered with rainbow sprinkles.  (I used to call them jimmies but most people north of the Mason-Dixon line have no idea what that means, so, sprinkles it is.) For the perfect ice cream archetype, mint chocolate chip ice cream-sprinkles combination should be precariously firmly stacked on top of a sugar cone (the brittle pseudo waffle cones with the sharp point at the bottom).  

In Europe, mint chocolate chip ice cream is a weak imitation of the American kind. The chips are slivers, the ice cream is a pale mint color as opposed to bright green dye. It's disappointing so I usually order something else.  However, you know what Europe has that America does not? Gelato!  Think ice cream that doesn't melt as quickly with a more intense flavor.  Hazelnut gelato is nothing short of a revelation.

In Germany, where my sister lives, everything is expensive with the exception of the lowly ice cream cone.  One scoop still only costs one Euro.  David and I visited her in May. The last morning of our vacation I spent a perfect thirty minutes sitting in the sunny town square, eating a chocolate ice cream cone and reading American Vogue, while Bee napped in her stroller.  That was heaven.  

Tonight I had vanilla frozen yogurt topped with a few pieces of extra dark (85%) chocolate.  My plan was to melt the chocolate and pour it over the yogurt, but the chocolate was too dark to melt. So, I broke it into pieces and enjoyed it as a topping.  Ice cream is one treat I could never give up.

No comments: