I have never been the kind of parent who is interested in Baby Einstein DVDs or Leap Pad pre-computer technology. For one thing, I generally don't buy anything made in China, and for another thing, they feel like a parenting cop-out.
On the other hand, I don't sit Bee down to make her practice words or counting or review alphabet flash cards either. Her learning is entirely existential. We count to ten as we walk up the stairs, notice the colors of her Playdoh, and discuss the different shapes in her beloved "trucks" book (yep, Bee has a tomboy streak, she loves to play Legos and trains with her daddy). In the kitchen, she has a particular talent for stirring muffin batter and crumbling goat cheese (not at the same time, though).
Bee is fascinated by nature. She and her babysitter go to the park every day and they usually bring something home with them. The windowsill in her play area is covered with bags of acorns, assorted smooth stones, and a few colorful leaves. My idea is to create a nature corner or shelf, where I could display her treasure along with a few seasonal books. I wish, so much, that we had a local library full of books on pumpkins and autumn and craft ideas. It is so much easier at home. There is a saying here, "he who never tries, never succeeds," so I think that I will start small, and see whether it catches Bee's interest.
No comments:
Post a Comment